Décor & Gardening
DIY: Zen garden for mom
WHAT YOU NEED:
• Some wood, cut into pieces (4 x 24.3cm and 3 x 21cm)
• Wood glue/nails and a hammer
• Zen garden sand/fine white sea sand
• Some black decorative stones
• Different succulents and/or air plants
• Small stones
• Potting mix
• Weed barrier cloth, cut to the size of the inside of the box
• A pencil or pen
HERE’S WHAT TO DO:
- Before starting, you are going to have varnished four longer pieces of wood to create the four sides of the box.
- Once the varnish is dry, you can help your kiddies to assemble the box. Glue the four pieces of wood together to create a square, with the ends sticking out, approximately 1cm from each edge. As you go along, make sure that the smaller pieces of wood can be glued snugly to the inside pieces, with drainage spaces in-between them, and which form the base of the box.
- Once the glue is dry, and the pieces of wood are firmly stuck together, place the weed barrier cloth into the box. Make sure you tuck the cloth into the corners for a neater finish.
- Get your kiddies to lay a thin layer of stones above the cloth, and follow this with a thick layer of potting mixture, leaving about 2 or 3cm for the fine sand.
- Help your kids remove the plants from the containers they were purchased in and plant them in the soil, ensuring you cover all of the roots.
- Fill the remaining space of the box with the fine sand. Push it into all corners of the box, until you can’t see the potting mixture peeking through.
- Finally, get creative and place the air plants and decorative stones around the box. With a pencil you (or your children) can sketch out the word “Mom” in the centre of the sand, along with drawings of some decorative spirals for a final touch of love and ultimate zen.